Desk Mess Mirrored 1.0.8

Posted by Edward Caissie on July 4, 2009 in News, WordPress |

Desk Mess Mirrored version 1.0.8 has just been uploaded for approval at WordPress.org, the following is its changelog:

-- Version 1.0.8
  - the name of the theme in the credits line (footer) is now displayed programmatically from the (parent) stylesheet "Theme Name" details
  - added more internationalization (I18n) code specified at this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers
  - summarized h1-h6 style elements; and, added h4, h5, h6 styles
  - style element "#menu li" and "#content" amended to handle long page names; corrections for menu overflow on longer names
  - added "overflow:hidden" to #bottom as suggested by Florin Arjuco (@gmail.com) -> with many thanks for other inputs as well

This update fairly completes my active major edits on this theme. I have greatly enjoyed seeing the theme being used at numerous blogs and hope to continue to see its use and adaptations. I will also keep note of any issues I see that appear to be theme related and make corrections as needed.

Please feel free to make comments regarding issues, problems, or compliments?!

(NB: Desk Mess Mirrored version 1.0.8 is live as of Jul 7, 2009.)

Tags: , ,

13 Comments

• Ed DeLise says:

I am using IE 8, and at the moment I’m working on a IE 7 computer, and my sub pages aren’t showing up when I hover over the 2 menu items where I’ve inserted them. I don’t think they’re showing up in either version of IE

As you’ll be able to tell this site is in progress, including my toying with the top graphics to get my logo and tagline to fit.

Great template – thanks for sharing!
    .-= Ed DeLise´s last blog … Don’t Gamble With Your Education =-.

• Thanks for the compliment, Ed … and for the comment.

If you are refering to “sub-pages” in the menu I would not expect them to display as the theme was written to only show “parent” pages in the menu. That does not mean to say the theme could not be modified to show sub-pages but it really does not lend it self well to the design.

If you are refering to “sub-pages” in a different section, please provide more details and I will be more than happy to review that part of the theme.

PS: A fix to your current layout logo text can be achieved with this change:

#logo h2 {
      color:#D21600;
      font-family:"Copperplate Gothic Bold",Arial,sans-serif;
      font-size:30px;
      margin:10px 0 0 24px;
      min-width:280px;
      text-align:center;
    }

Note the margin parameters … change the original first number from 50px to 10px (as shown).

• Ed DeLise says:

Thanks for the code. Here is a novice question – since this applies to the entire site – not just a specific page – can you please let me know where specifically I need to post that code? I thought it would be under “Appearance / Editor” – but when I clicked on that page and hit “update” to see if it would let me edit, I only now get a message that says “The Requested Them Does Not Exist” when I go to that menu option – and there is no way to see the edit box that I saw before I had hit “update”

Second – submenus are going to be important for my site – so the theme I use has to have them – even if they don’t display perfectly. I’ll have to evaluate the tradeoff between the theme itself and the functionality – and I like the post it notes quites a bit so I may be willing to sacrifice some appearance to get the submenus to show up. Is this something that one of my html friends can make work with some minor code changes?

Thanks for your reply – I thought that I was going crazy b/c I thought the submenus worked previously and then stopped – but that must have been when I was toying around with a different theme.
    .-= Ed DeLise´s last blog … Don’t Gamble With Your Education =-.

• For modifiying themes I recommend an external editor, I curently use the free one found at http://pspad.com/, versus the built-in editor. Whichever you are most comfortable with is what matters.

The sample “code” I posted in the above comment is to be used in the theme’s style.css file. Just locate the “#logo h2” element and replace it with the code above.

As to displaying sub-pages it is a very small change to the code that must be made in both header files (header.php and header-home.php).

Locate (around line 39) the code: < ?php wp_list_pages('title_li=&depth=1' ... and change the "depth=x" parameter (x=number) to how many levels of sub-pages you want to display; or, remove the "&depth=1" altogether to default to all sub-pages. Contact me directly, if you wish for me to make these edits for you.

• Ed DeLise says:

Thanks for this – I look forward to trying it. Now I seem to have a new problem – I just want to my site to check it out and your theme is not there. To try to fix it I activated another theme – which worked fine – then I tried to re-activate yours but it looks the same. Then I went to re-download it and it said “failed” b/c it’s already there. I guess I need to delete it from my site and then re-install it from scratch??

not sure what caused it to crash like that – I did upload version 1.08 -but it was working since then. thanks for any thoughts you might have.
    .-= Ed DeLise´s last blog … Don’t Gamble With Your Education =-.

• Ed DeLise says:

Actually – I just deleted it, and re-installed it – and that didn’t fix the problem.
    .-= Ed DeLise´s last blog … Don’t Gamble With Your Education =-.

• Although I have seen the Dashboard automatic theme updater not appear to work I have not read of a similar problem to what you are describing nor was I able to recreate it.

I also see you have managed to re-install and activate version 1.0.8 (as of this writing), but have not applied the changes I suggested. Do you still need help making them?

• Ed DeLise says:

I tell you what – I’ll take you up on your offer to help with the changes. I actually downloaded pspad and was about to take a shot at it – but then I realized I didn’t know how to open the file, so if you are willing to help, I’d really appreciate the help. The other thing I was trying to do was make my logo file fit into the desktop – and I had replaced the coffee cup with my logo – but it wasn’t done very well. Let me know how to best proceed here – thanks.
    .-= Ed DeLise´s last blog … Don’t Gamble With Your Education =-.

• @Ed Delise – I will need a bit of information to make the changes. Go to the “Contact Us” page and send an email to one of those addresses. We should continue this discussion, for security reasons, out of the public eye.

• Lauren says:

Hey there,

Great theme, just wondering if you have any plans to get this working in IE6???

Ta,
    Lauren

• Hello Lauren!
    Thank you for taking the time to comment and voice your concerns. As a test, and proof of concept, I am replying to your comment via my IE6 test environment. Granted, some of the PNG graphics are behaving as expected under IE6’s known issues, other than that, what “work” are you referring to? I always appreciate feedback on issues users of my themes are experiencing … and thank you, too, for the compliment.

• Lauren says:

Thanks for your quick reply Edward. Yes it is working ok, just visually, it appears a bit out of whack. But sounds like there are issues in IE6 that i am not aware of (i use a mac) so thats cool. just a shame – IE6 throws up so many issues! Thanks anyway! Lauren

• I admit, IE6 has been a challenge for this theme, but to the best of my recollection the Safari browser in both PC and Mac display the theme correctly and as expected. IE8, FireFox, Chrome, and Opera in their most current releases also display the theme correctly.